We’ve come along way from the pedometers of old.
It seems near impossible that not too long ago, the best step counting technology we had to offer was a small device you could strap onto your belt loop.
It counts your daily steps by judging how much it’s vibrated—not exactly the most accurate of systems, especially in the hands of children, eager to shake it rapidly to “increase” their step counts.
Yeah, not the greatest system.
Nowadays, though, there are much more active ways to track our step counts and even our overall fitness.
Wearable step trackers of the modern age are perfect for accurately tracking all your activity, synthesizing data, and even using this data to give feedback.
Of course, most smartphones track steps now—why do you need an actual step tracker?
Though it may seem like it, you don’t take your smartphone with you everywhere. What if you’re at the gym, or simply leave the phone behind when you go for a run?
All that data lost – but with a wearable step tracker, that is not the case.
Step trackers are becoming increasingly advanced, offering connectivity to apps, sleep monitoring data, and even Bluetooth. Keep reading to find out what we’ve determined to be the best step trackers currently on the market.
How We Chose Our List
We chose the products on this list based on a combination of offered features, functionality, durability, overall life, and, most importantly, customer feedback.
It is our goal to provide you with as accurate and unbiased information as possible so that you can find the best step tracker to integrate into your fitness life.
Top 10 Step Trackers
- Garmin AUTHORIZED DEALER - Includes Full Garmin USA WARRANTY
- Garmin Vivoactive 3 GPS Fitness Smartwatch (Black & Stainless)
- Garmin vivoactive 3 tracks your HRV, steps, distance traveled & calories burned, With Garmin Pay contactless payment...
Garmin has long been a monolith in the fitness watch world. This step tracker also functions as a smartwatch. You can see your notifications, check the weather, even see when your Uber driver is arriving. It also features as a contactless payment method, so you can purchase something just by tapping your watch.
Users of the Garmin Vivoactive 3 all in all really like it, citing its good size and features, as well as its ability to sync to different sports modes for more accurate athletic tracking. The main complaint seems to be a shorter battery life than some customers would prefer.
- Includes all Versa Lite Edition features plus: store and play 300+ songs, utilize on-screen workouts that play on your...
- Track your all-day activity, 24/7 heart rate, & sleep stages, all with a 4+ day battery life (varies with use and other...
- Use 15 plus exercise modes like run or swim (Fitbit Versa is water resistant to 50 meters) to record workouts and...
This is an Amazon’s Choice product. Fitbit has long been synonymous with fitness trackers, and for good reason.
The Versa provides a touchscreen with all the smartwatch capabilities of the Garmin, including the contactless pay. It also allows you to download music and Pandora stations for an enjoyable and customized workout experience.
This product has received its fair share of praise. The main complaint seems to focus around the interchangeable bands' option, users stating that it is difficult to switch out the bands and that the woven bands are not a great fitness option.
- PurePulse continuous, automatic wrist based heart rate tracking to better measure calorie burn all day
- Maximize your workouts using simplified heart rate zones (Fat Burn, Cardio and Peak). Splash proof. Do not shower with...
- See call, text & calendar notifications on the OLED display; Automatically track how long and how well you sleep and...
This is another Amazon’s Choice product. It follows the traditional Fitbit more closely than the Versa: a thin band with a thin, curved screen.
This screen delivers workout information in real time on your wrist. You can also set it with a silent vibrating alarm for the mornings, and it can even take you through guided breathing exercises throughout the day. It also displays phone notifications.
Customers love the user-friendly nature of this product combined with its sleek and interchangeable design and long battery life. The main complaint seems to be that product colors don’t always match those pictured.
- Continuous heart RATE - have the A370 intelligently Track your heart RATE through the twists and turns of everyday life.
- Assisted GPS - Use your phone's GPS to Track speed, distance and route ; Get notifications for incoming calls, messages,...
- Improved sleep analysis - get the valued insight you need to get a good Nights rest ; The wristbands are made of a soft...
This step tracker offers all those great fitness tracking features, not only tracking your heartrate and distance covered but the types of workouts you do, your routes, and sleep patterns.
You can preload your workout ahead of time to get the most accurate recording and coaching as you work out, in addition to coaching recommendations after the fact.
Users praise the Polar A370 for its accuracy, particularly gym enthusiasts. Some complain, however, that it is incompatible with less mainstream software such as Strava.
- 1.More Accurate Fitness Tracker: Based on Mi band 2, the 3rd Generation updates its algorithm to be more accurate in...
- 2.50m Water-Resistant Swimming Wristband Bracelets: Featured with 5ATM Water Resistance technology, Xiaomi Mi Band 3 can...
- 3.Real-time Sports Data Activity Tracker: With creative added screen sports mode design, you can check data, even during...
This band tracks your workouts in all the standard functions, but also allows you to go back and edit them.
While some step trackers have received criticism for having to engage different workout modes before time, leading to inaccurate trackings when forgotten, you can go back and switch the sports mode for an adjusted recording.
This step tracker is waterproof and also provides gentle vibrating reminders to be active.
Reviews of this product are all in all really positive, though a few users have complained that it initially comes in Chinese so it can be challenging to initially change over and set up.
- Built-in GPS and continuous heart rate: monitor your heart rate and track your workout routes without your phone
- Scientific sleep tracking: keep track of light, deep and REM sleep stages to make your sleep truly restful; PMOLED...
- 5ATM water-resistance: support all day wear, rain, and even a swim in the pool, which allows you to dive into becoming a...
In addition to tracking your total mileage, calories burned, etc. of your workouts, this step tracker will also record your workout routes and sync them to your phone, so you can view exactly what you did.
Through the app, you can view all your stats as well as coaching features, such as recovery time. This thin band also offers limited smart assistant features, allowing you to see notifications from your phone.
Users of the Huawei Band 2 Pro appreciate it for its waterproof design and relatively low price. There have been a few issues reported concerning difficulty syncing to your phone. Others report that the sleep tracking function is not always accurate, occasionally mistaking lounging activities such as watching TV for sleep.
TomTom Spark 3 Music
- Bluetooth Music Player & Wireless Headphones: Included Bluetooth sport headphones have contoured ear hooks, are sweat...
- Waterproof Sport Watch: Multisport Mode tracks all your indoor and outdoor sports, including every run, cycle, swim and...
- GPS Running Watch and Activity Tracker: Measures time, distance, speed, pace, calories burned and sleep. Coming soon,...
The TomTom Spark 3 Music is perfect if you’re looking for a step tracker that can easily stream music and connect to Bluetooth headphones (included in bundle). This step tracker also records distances, speeds, calories burned, and sleep, compiling all this information into an app in reports that can be filed and saved. It’s waterproof, so you can also track your swims.
Public perception of this product is overall pretty positive. They love it for its easy-to-use nature and the accompanying headphones. There are some, however, who states that there’s no way to adjust the music volume on the watch, so that could be potentially problematic if you don’t like the resting volume.
Samsung Gear Fit2
- Water resistant up to fifty meters, now you can own the pool, run in the rain and recover in the shower
- Power through intervals to the beat of your favorite tracks with music storage on your Gear Fit2 Pro
- Boost every session with fitness apps powered by Under Armour. Count every mile on Map MyRun, and stay on top of your...
This step tracker is a sleek band with a thin, curved screen that makes it lightweight and comfortable and is available in a variety of colors. It is compatible with a variety of smartphones and fitness apps, though it appropriately offers the best range of features with Samsung phones.
Users all in all really like the functionality of this problem paired with its slim design. Be forewarned, though, when it comes to the Gear Fit2’s waterproof capabilities. The step tracker is marketed as waterproof. Though in order for this to be in effect, you actually have to engage the waterproof mode prior to getting it wet—otherwise you’re in for an unfortunate surprise.
Moov 3D Fitness Tracker
- MOOV NOW provides real-time audio coaching for running, cycling, cardio boxing, body weight (Moov 7 Minute+)
- Most advanced swim tracker - stroke type, stroke count, lap analysis, recommends ways to improve
- Tracks Active Minutes and Sleep
If you’re the type who likes to be coached and given instant feedback, this is the fitness tracker for you. This product from Moov actually talks to you in real time. It provides feedback on your running and biking techniques, and will even coach you through cardio boxing and body weight workouts if you wear one on each wrist.
This tracker’s band is made of super flexible and breathable rubber, small pores opened up throughout. It is ideal for placement on the wrist or ankle.
If you’re into swimming, this is a great option: not only is it waterproof, it can track your stroke types and laps.
Users particularly love this little tracker for swimming. Customers have complained, however, that despite the cool features it actually lacks some of the technological hallmarks of most modern fitness trackers. For instance, it records “active minutes” as opposed to actual steps and speeds. Users also complain of occasionally spotty Bluetooth activity.
- Vibration alerts for call and text notifications, movement reminders, and alarms
- Smart button enabled to control connected household devices
- Swim proof, anodized aluminum cylinder with multicolor LED progress display
The design of the Misfit Ray is simple but effective. It provides all the standard functions of step tracking, calories burned, distance covered, and sleep tracking. It also vibrates to alert you to notifications on your phone. The body is composed of a thin aluminum cylinder with an LED display to show activity, wrapped around either a leather or rubber sport band. It is waterproof.
Users love this product for its simple and easy to use features combined with its sleek and jewelry-esque design. While some users wish for more advanced features and an operable screen, this little band is a steal for what it’s priced.
Finding the Right Step Tracker for You
So, which step tracker band is right for you?
It really depends on what you’re looking for—do you want a comprehensive fitness tracker or something that offers smartwatch capabilities along with them?
The Fitbit and Garmin products tend to be top of the line, but the other trackers on this list offer great features as well.
No matter which fitness tracker you wind up getting, you’ll definitely be well beyond the pedometers of old.